Melitzanosalata is a fresh dip made with eggplants. It goes really great with pita (or other bread or crackers) and is a really healthy snack. I know it looks a little bit funky/unapproachable but I promise I’ve never met anyone who didn’t love this. And I’ll let you in on a little secret: if you want to have the best snack or lunch ever, have some of this dip with hot toasted pita bread and Sriracha hot sauce. Trust me!
Don’t these eggplants look funny?
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil (more or less depending on the eggplant size and consistency)
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Small sprig of fresh parsley to garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (176 C)
- Prick the eggplants all over with a fork and place them on a baking sheet in the oven for 30-40min Take the eggplants out and let them cool. They should be quite wrinkly
- Cut off the tops and peel the skin off of the eggplants
- Chop up the eggplant in the smallest pieces possible and turn into a paste using a mortar and pestle (I used the back of a spoon)
- Mix up all of the ingredients in a bowl and voila!
- Alternatively, if you would rather use food processor, cut up the eggplant and pulse all of the ingredients together, but make sure to keep the dip nice and chunky. Enjoy!