Happy Saturday to all! I hope everyone is staying warm in each of your corners of the world. I just wanted to offer a quick apology for the delay in posting a new recipe. As some of you know I’ve recently started graduate school so my pace of life has been a bit hectic as of late. I now officially live in Switzerland and today it’s snowing and the mountains look just majestic. I haven’t eaten any Swiss chocolate or fondue yet, but now that it’s the weekend maybe I’ll have some time for that (or maybe not because there’s just so much to be done for classes right now).
But fear not! I am here with an amazinggggg and yummy Greek recipe: avgolemono soup! To me this soup is pretty much the most traditional Greek soup, but please correct me if I’m wrong! (And please send me the names of other soups!) Avgolemono is made with rice, and often chicken, in a broth to which a lemon-egg mixture is added. It sounds pretty strange, I know, but the results are incredible. There are no pieces of egg in the soup, but instead a delicious and creamy broth.
This soup takes about an hour to make from scratch, but it’s also a fantastic and yummy way to use leftover chicken and rice with which you can whip up this beautiful and impressive soup in just 10-15 minutes. I know for most of us it’s really cold in our respective cities/towns/countries right now so I recommend you treat yourself to this warm and comforting soup this weekend!
Kotosoupa Avgolemono: Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 2 small or 1 large boneless chicken breasts, cut into large pieces
- Olive oil
- About 1 cup or 150-200g short-grain rice, like Arborio
- Juice of 1 lemon, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dill, for garnish
- Place the chicken in a pot
- Add 5 cups water and a tbsp. of olive oil and bring to a boil
- Foam will form at the top. Remove the foam with a spoon
- Leave the chicken to boil, about 10-15 minutes
- Remove the chicken from a bowl and set aside to cool
- Leave the water in the pot! Now it’s chicken broth!
- Add your rice and boil until done (about 20 minutes, or whatever the instructions on the package say)
- Once the rice is cooked reduce the heat to low
- Once the chicken has cooled, shred the meat
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and the lemon juice until completely mixed/combined
- Take 1 soup ladle (1/2 cup) of the soup and pour it into the bowl with the egg and lemon mixture, whisking continuously
- Add another soup ladle (1/2 cup) and continue whisking
- This is done to warm up the egg and lemon mixture to the same temperature as the rest of the soup. If you just add the mixture directly into the soup, the egg will cook too quickly and will curdle
- Pour the soup, egg, and lemon mixture into the pot with the rest of the soup, stirring continuously
- Cook and stir until the soup becomes opaque and gets thicker
- Serve immediately: spoon the avgolemono soup into bowls
- Top with some shredded chicken, salt and pepper, and garnish with some dill (optional)
This is a great recipe to make if you already have some leftover cooked chicken and rice, and will only take 15 minutes to make